Looking for excuses to go road tripping? None needed when you plan to travel around South Africa! Get your Europcar hire sorted and get ready to embark on one of the following epic adventures. Choose from three of our unusual road trip inspirations below.
- Dose up on Vitamin D on the Sunshine Coast
There’s a reason the long stretch of coast between Port Alfred and Tsitsikama is called “The Sunshine Coast” and that is because it gets more sunshine hours than any other part of the country. It’s also a rather pretty and cheerful place to spend your time. Below are some stops you will want to make along the way (and the reasons why):
- The suspension bridge at Storms River Mouth is a sight to behold. Organise your arrival time for just before sunsetand you will get some really great memorable photographs.
- Storms River Village is a quaint place to visit and is steeped in history. Many years ago, before the village was ever conceptualised, elephants used to roam the area. Now it is a bustling little town known as the gateway to the Tsitsikama.
- Marilyn’s 60’s Diner is a 60’s style Marilyn Monroe Diner found in the Tsitsikama Village. It serves authentic diner-style food including burgers, hot dogs, fries and milkshakes.
- Oudebosch Farm Stall is a great stop off point en-route. It has a great coffee shop for light meals as well as a small tourist office, curios and gift shop, as well as a grocery store for supplies.
- Tsitsikama Community Wind Farm is a great sight to see. There’s nothing to do here, but the great towering wind giants will urge you to snap a few shots.
- Oyster Bay offers unspoiled landscapes and a variety of outdoor activities.
- Seagrass Restaurant and Bar is a fantastic stop for a meal and some refreshing beverages.
- Cape St Francis calls all travellers looking for a non-commercialised area (non-touristy) that’s pretty and welcoming. The town is stunning and worth a drive through.
- Van Staden’s Pass features beautiful fields of flowers visible from the flower reserve.
- Nanaga Farm Stall, which is what you will pass while heading towards Port Elizabeth, is known for its take-away pies. Grab a few snacks here.
- Addo (Woody Cape area) is the lesser known area of Addo and is gorgeous. Take a break to do some hiking in this area or at least take a drive through it.
- Great Fish Point Lighthouse is no longer manned. This means that you can hire the keeper’s house for your stay and will even have your own piece of beach.
- Sibuya Game Reserve is great for spotting some wildlife and it’s even better when you can do it forfree on the public transit road that cuts through the reserve.
- Kenton on Sea is a small coastal town very close to Addo Elephant Park. It’s a great stop spot along the way. Enjoy a swim, grab a meal, and browse through the arty stores that are dotted around the town.
- Stargaze by Moonlight in the Karoo
Another great road trip to do with your Europcar Hire is to take a drive through the Karoo.
The Karoo is all about wide open spaces and has the clearest sky for stargazing that you will likely ever see. Road tripping on the Karoo route will give you time to relax and reflect as there seems to be no one around for hundreds of kilometres. Stops you will want to make along the way (and why), include:
- Kambros Camp Site and Farm Stall offers chalets as well as space for caravans and tents. It’s a peaceful spot that’s enjoyed by those looking for a break away from the hustle and bustle of life in the big cities.
- Pampoenpoort is an old farm with a station, bed and breakfast and coffee shop.
- Middlewater Camp Site is a quiet and serene spot to overnight.
- Fraserburg is a tiny town that is said to have the coldest winters (plan your travels carefully). Here you can enjoy 4×4 trails and stroll through the town.
- Ouberg Pass is a long and winding, scenic pass.
- Die Mond Camp Site is one of the best camp sites in the area, set on a farm that runs the length of the river. Each campsite is grassy and shady and there is hot water available.
There’s not much to do on a road trip in the Karoo except to be grateful for the tranquillity and enjoy the drive as you admire the rolling scenery before you.
- Hike Your Heart Out in Langeburg
If you have a week to spare, driving the Southern Langeburg is a great way to while away your car hire days. Be prepared to experience a 250 km stretch from Worcester to Mossel Bay that includes towns such as Swellendam, Suurbraak and Riversdale,as the most gorgeous drive of your life. It’s nothing short of awe-inspiring. Beautiful rolling passes, mountainous views, and hilly fields await you. For the best views and hiking opportunities, follow this recommended route (and stops):
- Cape Town to Marloth Nature Reserve feels like it is hidden away in the alcoves of the mountain. Here you can see some amazing scenery complete with hiking trails.
- Saggy Stone Brewery is a great place to stop for a taste of the area’s very own local craft beer.
- Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve is a perfect spot to do some hiking, fauna and flora viewing, along with some good old fashioned relaxing.
- Delish is a little spot in Heidelberg that serves delicious, affordable breakfasts.
- Sleeping Beauty Peakis another fantastic hiking trail. Don’t miss out on this one!
- Garcia Pass is a mountain pass that stretches along the Langeburg. It’s a scenic route that’s worth a few stops to stretch your legs and snap some photos along the way.
Book Your Car Hire for Your Next Road Trip Adventure
These are not your average road trip routes, but when you get your Europcar hire and head out onto the open road, you might want to try something a little different. Make your next road trip out of the ordinary so that your experiences and memories can be extraordinary.
To find the best car hire for your road trip, use our car hire search feature above.